Friday, May 31, 2013

Beginnings With a Bang



“I ride a motorcycle.” Funny, three years ago I would’ve never expected that to come out of my mouth. Although, I’m still young enough to not be surprised by what comes out of there. No, I can’t say straddling a two wheeled rocket ship was something that I envisioned in my future. And owning a Ninja 250 definitely isn’t helping that high speed future. 
My First Street Bike: 2009 Ninja 250
                                                    
I stumbled into my motorcycling passion. Three years ago I was in a friend’s garage waiting to go on a bicycle ride. There was a sporty looking bike lurking in the back. I’m sure I said something to the lines of, “Cool bike, how fast does it go?” That’s standard fair when you’re 20 years old right? The most important question is always, “How fast does it go?” The response was instant, “Probably 170 miles per hour. Want to sit on it?” I hopped up on the bike to be greeted by a thin foam layer for a seat. My friend turned the key and the whining of the fuel pump activated while the dash gauges put on a brief light show. I noticed the rev counter climbed to 17,500 RPMs. Before I could make a comment about my disbelief of an engine revving that high, the bike began to choke to life. 

There was a sharp bark that settled into an angry drone. A car alarm could be heard off in the distance after a few stabs of the throttle. The bike was shut off but the lingering smell of unburned race fuel was the icing on the whole experience. I was awestruck. Coming from a guy who loves cars and motorsports how did I let this two wheeled Formula 1 wannabe go unnoticed for so long? That marked the beginning of my downward spiral into the motorcycling world. 


The interest grew as I read magazines, books, and watched Youtube clips of motorcycles flexing their performance abilities. Being friends with an ex AMA pro road racer certainly helped. The final realization that I absolutely needed a motorcycle in my life was when I watched a video of a sport bike simply walk away from a Lamborghini. For the price of a 10 year old Honda Civic, I can get 45 mpg and be able to embarrass Corvettes. Where do I sign up? 


I consider myself very new to the motorcycle community. I’m very much in the honeymoon phase with this hobby. There are many different social circles, motorcycle related nuances and taboo, and types of riding that I’m learning about. My perspectives are constantly changing. This dynamic nature provides me with all kinds of cool and unique stories. 

I decided that I want to blog about my experiences and perspectives. A young, broke moto fanatic that wants to try it all. My hope is that other people who don't or cant ride can live vicariously through my adventures on two wheels and that fellow riders can laugh at my rookie mistakes and share their opinions. 

-Cycle Cam

Motorcyclists, how did you find your “calling?” Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment